Magliano Alfieri Castle
Of great strategic importance in the past, Magliano became the feudal residence of the Alfieri family in 1240. They acquired the right of burgess in Asti in 1198. In 1236 the church obtained a declaration of subjection to the Church of Asti by Corrado Magliano and the following year conceded the investiture of the fief of Magliano. Towards the middle of that century the castle and feudal estate were acquired by the Alfieri brothers. They belonged to one of the most important families in Asti, soon to gain control over the entire region.
The feudal estate was later divided among the various members of the family which, in the early 15th century, saw its power decline. Bishop Alberto Gutuario took some of the Alfieri family's feudal land and placed it under the direct control of his own relatives.
Meanwhile, in 1415 the Marquis of Monferrato took possession of the castle and village of Magliano, which he only returned following the intervention of Filippo Maria Visconti.
At the end of the 15th century a small part of the feudal estate was handed to the Damiano family. The rest was bought by the Roero, Malabayla and Parato of Castellinaldo families. Despite this the Alfieris continued to assert their supremacy over the region.
In the 17th century the Savoys ruled the Magliano area. Count Catalano Alfieri, a general in the Savoy Infantry Regiment, had a luxurious home built on the site of the medieval fortress. Now known as the Castellata Residence, the main features of this imposing, austere structure with its refined and mature Piedmontese baroque forms were the main door, the great staircase, the ballroom and the chapel. His son, Count Charles Emmanuel, completed the building.
The castle only re-opened a few years ago. This was made possible thanks to the interest and dedication of the "Amici del Museo" (Friends of the Museum), who are working to bring the old frescoes back to light after these were covered in the 1960s when the castle was turned into housing apartments.
THE CASTLE NOW
The east wing on the first floor houses the Museum of Art and Folk Traditions with exhibits relating to the culture, art and folklore of Piemonte. In 1994 a particularly original and important section dedicated to the traditional plaster ceilings of local farmhouses in the past was inaugurated.
Widespread use was made of plaster, mainly because it was cheap due to the large number of chalk quarries in this part of Piemonte. The humble farmhouses thus acquired a touch of elegance. The moulded white ceilings with their refined, cultured decorations, enriched these homes while also helping to insulate the rooms and keep them warm.
In the northernmost corner of the castle, also accessible from the outside, is the marvellously frescoed noble Crucifixion Chapel. To the left of the castle, set in lush parkland, is the parish church of St. Andrew. Worthy of note is the ancient bell-tower, which probably dates back to the 14th century.
MUSEO DI ARTI E TRADIZIONI POPOLARI - CASTELLO DEGLI ALFIERI DI MAGLIANO
Via Alfieri, 6
12050 Magliano Alfieri (CN)
Open from May to October
11.30 - 12.30 / 15.00 - 18.00
Guided tours: during the week upon appointment
2,00 Euros - 1,50 Euros (schools and groups made up of more than 10 people)
FULL PRICE : 4,00 Euros
REDUCED: 3,00 Euros
Tel: +39 0173 66311; +39 0173 66117
Web: www.comune.maglianoalfieri.cn.it; www.amicicastelloalfieri.org
Mobile +39 335.5652312