We do not know exactly when the village of Saliceto was founded, but the Pieve (parish) was first mentioned in the diploma of Ottone II (967 A.D.) We also know that the municipality of Asti had already taken possession of a number of castles (including the one at Saliceto) prior to 1355, when the relative plans were drawn up. However, the manor as it appears in this important document is very different in form and structure to the one we know today. It is shown as a large building with battlements and a round tower at the side flying the yellow and red-striped flag of the Del Carretto marquises.
Saliceto then passed almost definitively to the Savoy family, except for two brief periods when it was held by the Spanish (1639-1659) and French (1800-1814). In 1639, during the first of these transitional periods, Piemonte was involved in the war that France had declared on Spain to drive it out of Italy. The battle of Saliceto dates back to that period, when part of the castle was destroyed, probably including the tower.
In the first half of the last century the castle passed to Cesare Barberis fu Francesco and then to cavalier Giuseppe Mazzone, who died in 1914 and left it to his children. The manor has been the property of the municipal council since 1999.
Conceived as a military fortress and not to serve as a residence, the manor was originally surrounded by a moat and accessible via a drawbridge. This was later removed and replaced with a stone and brick ramp. The remains of a small frescoed chapel are still visible in the lovely inner courtyard. The rooms inside have recently been refurbished and feature a cycle of late 19th-century/early 20th-century Liberty-style frescoes. In the autumn of 2010 these rooms will be enriched with some of the original furnishings.
CASTELLO DI SALICETO
Via Vittorio Emanuele II, 38
12079 Saliceto (CN)
on April 9th there will be the opening of the tourist season of Marchesi del Carretto's Saliceto Castle. The monument will be open on Sundays at 15:00 o'clock and at 16:30 o'clock with a guided tour.
I° TURN from 15.00 to 16.30
II° TURN from 16.30 to 18.00
full price: euro 5
Information and bookings
tel. +39 0174.98021 (Monday to Saturday, 9 am to 12 noon)